An Accident

Do you value your life? What about you neighbors'?


I work nights; and when lucky - I finish early and get a few hours to sleep or surf the net, listen to music or hold philosophical discussions to my hearts delight.

So I'm sitting next to a large window uploading a video on Youtube when I hear tires screeching across asphalt. Hmm, that's not quite right.

-The air is filled with the sound of maddening speed attempting to decelerate to zero in less than a second. Every muscle in my aches and I turn to the right to look out the window. To catch a glimpse of the offending car and perhaps abuse them for such needlessly forceful 5am driving.

Instead I see a silver car ramming into and overturning a wine one, causing it to do a complete one 180 - with the help of a curb. The sound of the crash is sickening and I barely have enough cognitive power available to mute my laptop and close the lid as I stand - hand to mouth to stare helplessly at the scene. By this time the silver car has turned completely around, giving me a full view of its bashed front end.

A man in a white shirt and tie steps out, as does a bathroom slipper-ed driver. The walk slowly around the cars and the driver seems to consider his life.

I cannot claim to have a clear view of his facial expression from 2 stories up, but his body language seems to shout synonyms of 'woe is me'.

The tie-d owner of the Silver Bashed Front starts calling...someone via his cell.

A crowd quickly forms. They meander and speculate before someone has the bright idea to check the Wine Overturned for signs of life. A man is pulled out of a window a lies sprawled on the ground. The ever thicken crowd closes in a every so often, a gap forms in the mass of gabbing onlookers and I can see someone tapping the body.

The co-worker beside me takes hold of me, possible unaware, and I angle a nearby seat closer to her. Sure enough she soon sits down, moaning about the injustice of it all. A man may be dead and Why did they wait so long to check on him?

He eventually sits up and the floodgates of tears subside. Not before a round of pacing on her part.

A full 20 minutes after a curiously labeled white truck pulled up to the site, the crowd cries 'rush this man to the hospital' and he is loaded into the aforementioned vehicle and carted away. This is all after he sits up, speaks and lays back down again.

* The first car I saw after the accident happened drove right by.
* A co-worker mentioned a person leaving the Wine Overturned and sprinting away.
* We all, from the relative safety of our office, could only murmur suggestions or stare. Some ventured outside to investigate the damage.


Lord knows I don't have much else to say about that.

Here's to life when you have it. May you have it in abundance and appreciate it while it lasts.

-I wrote this on Thursday morning. It happened at about 5am. -

Comments

....waiting to happen ???????
La Reine said…
...yeah, I was composing the entry on my laptop then hibernated.

I guess it saved...
Onyeka said…
Wow, that was an intense thing to see O_o

But I assure you, it's not as bad as being part of the accident and seeing it coming.