Giving Thanks
Thanksgiving.
A time of turkeys, pies, mashed potatoes and relatives. A period of jolloff rice*, moin moin* and party-cut plantain* fried to perfection. Its a day full of discussions about new boots, new news and sitting around to say what you're thankful for, while relatives grumble about hunger pains.
This Thanksgiving, I have a number of things to be thankful for. Sure, I am alive and I have food to eat, a roof over my head and full use of my faculties. But I'm also in a drastically different situation from that of last year. I'm in school, an answer to a prayer I've been beseching God for, for a few years. I've finally gotten over my hangups about needing a buddy and I started running. Sure, the Couch to 5k program is kicking my butt and at times limiting my ability to breathe... Still, though I've only just finished the third week, I'm feeling more grateful every time I run. More productive, more like a person who is striving towards the life she wants to acheive. We'll see what I say when it starts to snow.
There are many more things that I am appreciative for, but I'm not going to broadcast them across the internet. I've learned that anonymity isn't really as the word means and the best way to keep something a secret, is to resist the urge to talk about it.
I will say that my life isn't all roses. I procrastinate more than I ever have, likely from one silly, irrational fear or the other. But I'm working on it. I'm killing that habit one day at a time.
I met new cousins I didn't know I had and was given a day pass into their lives. I've gotten over wishing I was someone else. I've realized that being the best version of myself is a blessing, so I've tried to be that La Reine. Procrastinate-y or Angry or Whiny La Reine needs a stern talking to and needs to find her seat.
I don't wear a crown to hide it under self induced imperfections. I wear it in the sun, so it can shine.
-Here's to being thankful, being prayerful and realizing just how blessed you are.
*Just a sample of the great Nigerian food I had this Thanksgiving

Comments
:)
keep being you.
One of my favorite quotes: 'It is never too late to be what you might've been'
RustGeek: I hear you... Thanks for stopping over!
Aloted: Well, thank you! Stay thankful.
Kitten: That's a great quote! Thanks for dropping by.