Tenacity


I'm part of a blog called the3six5ng where Nigerians around the globe post a peek into their lives, every day - for a year. I'm up today and because I wrote a blog in the wrong format, I have to resubmit :P 
Below is my misinterpretation of the rules.

CWK as taken from a crowded balcony with my camera phone

A few weeks ago, after an evening class - I went to a concert. Outside of thoroughly enjoying myself, I also learned that a band I like would be there soon. I put this on my calendar but didn't buy a ticket, since I didn't want to go alone. Two weeks to the date I summoned the chutzpah to ask a friend and music blogger to go with me.  He was in, so I checked for tickets.

Alas, the concert was sold out. Perhaps waiting wasn't so bright? Downcast, I fled to Pandora and sighed every time their songs graced my playlist.

At some point, I wondered who might be reselling tickets.  There had to be some nice fans who recently found that they would no longer be able to make it. A large piece of red velvet cake, I thought.

I signed up for reselling sites yet couldn't find anything better than a 100% markup. Something about my Ijebu ancestry or lessons in frugality helped me let those ‘opportunities’ pass by.  So I drifted to Spotify, listened to all of their songs that I knew and promptly fell in love with their new album.

Basically, I tortured myself mercilessly.  Then after a few days, I decided.

I was going to mosey over to the venue, with hopefulness as my only company, and see what would happen. Maybe I could find a scalper and get a face value ticket? Or just listen while hovering outside the door... *ahem* ‘waiting’ for someone. Worst case, I would go home, fire up Spotify and give my noisy neighbors a taste of their own medicine while dancing and singing in my living room to my heart’s content.

That morning, I put my best ‘business-meeting to sold-out-concert’ outfit together and continued the trend of telling everyone within smiling distance that awesomeness was going to happen soon – one way or another.

I got there late, right after my evening class and found neither lines nor scalpers. So I walked up to the bouncer/ID checker and asked what could be done.

Next thing I knew, I was rocking out to Cold War Kids live.

For free.

#awesomeness


Here's to going after what you want. And also, music. Obviously.

Comments

Molara Brown said…
I read this on the3six5ng blog and I loved it.