I Almost Died

-I was recently reminded that life is short.


I'm in a cab, on the streets of Abuja, sometime past 6pm. I'm feigning disinterest while stealthily noting that where I am is in indeed enroute to where I'm going.

I'm vibe-ing off of the natural AC coming in and rushing by the right side of my face. I'm totally oblivious to who else in on the road.

Then Someone, the Owner of the Road perhaps, tries to nudge the cab with his car.

“Ah Ah!” The cab driver exclaims as he weaves out of his way, jerking violently to the right -forcing me to pay attention. I look to the left just in time to see a sea of light brownish, creamy sand advance towards the right. Toward the metal casing that happens to encase me and our dear cab driver man.

We SWERVE, making a rapid S motion. This time, I feel myself still moving towards the right as the car is taken eastward again and straightened.

I find myself in love with my seatbelt.

I'm surprised to find my gadgets still in my hands.

I realize; MY LIFE DID NOT HAVE TIME TO FLASH BEFORE MY EYES.

So, if we weren't on the far right of the road....I mean, if God had decided to.....that is to say, if some Negro was coming along by our right…….- going as fast as we were.....I look at the speedometer-

Nothing.

Not even Zero, not even 80, 120, who knows?- the thin red pin rests on the lowest point of the range. Below all the action and way out of order.

I can't tell how fast we're moving. The objects outside the window seem to be yelling 'Slow Down!' as they blend into each other and fade into oblivion. I want to say a prayer or two or four. I can't remember anything but Thank You Jesus. I praise God and falter, Where are the Adjectives?


The cab man wants to vex. He wants to; I don’t know, beat down on the Road Demon and make him repentful. He's talking to himself, because I'm not listening…

I want to touch the ground with my feet.

I wonder how the phone charger on the dashboard didn't fly out of the open window.

I wonder what I'd be wondering if we had hit someone...

A traffic light has stopped the ebb and flow.

Up ahead is a creamy-sand colored Peugot 504 with an arm hanging out of the drivers’ side window.

In my mind, 'God punish you, you wan kill my Momma's first child?', 'Maaan, some people....'

Cab Driver Man is ranting and inching forward.

A uniformed hand sticks out of the passenger side window.

A uniformed man regards us as we glide by. His blank expression revealing nothing and everything; his general lack of care or feeling.

The cab driver and I stare back without really thinking.

-I now know how people in the car feel before a drive by.

Through my eyes, 'Because you have a shiny Peugot? See as your life dey. Nonsense. See as you dey look sef. Abi you never get conscience?' My head fills up with assorted words I try not to say. Followed promptly by ‘Lord forgive me.’

The traffic moves, or rather surges and Cab Driver man feels like going for Round 2. He has determined some course of action in his mind.

I tell him not to vex. I say, 'Abeg, make you no vex'. He mumbles something. I wonder just how bad my Pidgin sounds, and wonder if I could just leave the car-incase.... They turn left.

I praise God that we're going straight. I thank God when I got home. I decided not to divulge the tale to my Auntie.


I told a cab driver today and he shook his head. I told him because he wanted to vex at somebody for Daft driving. I figured he needed a bit of perspective.

I told my friends and they laughed; especially at the part about my life not having time to flash before my eyes. Dear me, I don't think I am That young...

But seriously. No Thank You Jesus. No Save me Lord. No nothing. I barely registered what was happening by the time it was over.

If a car had been coming on the right that would’ve been it.

There is No Time.

-Here's to anyone who caught the humor, anyone who paused to think.

-Holla's toward everyone who remembers to love, before, after and in spite of Valentines Day.

-Prayers to the victims of the latest school shooting, their families, friends and those wounded.

Comments

onydchic said…
Wow, near death experience,, have had my fair share... and lemme tell you, all that hogwash about life flashing before your eyes? BS! All I could think of was... oh god NOOOO, ive never even been kissed!!! Totally off point, totally sad... that was before the shock induced laughter of course...
Chxta said…
Just saw this (my net's been down). Will call you tomorrow.
Anonymous said…
Thank God for your life o!ah!
Naija Chickito said…
We thank the good Lord. You will live long
Ms. emmotions said…
you shall not die a day befor ur appionted time whch is way beyond 7oyrs, thats God's promise for u, and u naw wat? he keeps all promises, alll.....
Afrobabe said…
wow...we thank God for his mercies oh....
princesa said…
WTF?! Prolly one of those stupid government escort cars. Those guys are just maniacs!
Glad you are okay girl.

And which school shooting again?? Na wa o!
Kiki said…
Thank God for your life ooo!
flygirlbidiish said…
some of the woes of the naija roads.aaagh! attimes one will want to teach them a lesson.Thank God ur still hale n hearty n the cab guy didn't try any clumsy sturvz!
btw read in the papers that the lagos state fine for drivin on the wrong side of the road is now 50gees.........spare me!!! one will hardly even find a bicycle on the wrong side of the road......they should rehabilate their ones "charity they say begins at home
'Yar Mama said…
Perhaps because the roads in Abuja a so good, I find that people speed like theres no tomorrow. Drivers are so careless and noone really stops for the red lights at the juction. Na wah!!
classybabe said…
We thank God for his mercies oh.I have a constant fear about Naija roads,not usually a pleasant experience.
desperate lady said…
R u serious? eventhough u made it kinda funny, I was still a lil scared, gosh u should do thanksgivin in church u know.
diary of a G said…
I caught the humor, I paused to think.lol.

that SWERVE, making a rapid S motion is enuff to love em seatbelt right Young B?
Anonymous said…
Wow, thank God you two are okay. I didn't catch the humor but I definitely started thinking.