Airlines, Hotels and Ish...Oh My!


I did some flying recently, A and I. Thank God for online check-in.


Because I got to the airport late. And as I was told repeatedly by airport staff who must have been ticked off at the Last person they spoke to, 'You should have come on time'.

Nothing like a face full of obvious to get you going.

Upon arrival at the gate, after missing the gate (as the number and letter on my ticket was Not, in fact synonymous with the number and letter boldly displayed in the place where the plane was), I realized I was not only late, but the plane was too.

Lucky ducky.

I stood with a mass of families, business people, students and etc... We watched our late plane churn out luggage like a large creature with the runs. The seemingly unending flow of boxes and baggage was a constant reminder of the time we had lost.

Eventually, the Jumpsuit people on the other side of the window started feeding bags into the plane. It was like watching an odd assembly line chain where what went in was not what came out. After an hour that felt like forever, I heard a deepening ruckus and saw a balance shift in the tired crowd. Someone somewhere was saying something that was not being received well.

I pushed forward and stared moodily at the woman who was struggling to hear the accent of a fellow passenger. As she formulated her reply, one I would hear multiple times that night, one thing became painfully clear. We would not be flying that night.

The best I could hope for was a hotel bed with my name on it.

An unending stream of useless argumentative whining and shuffling later, I finally made it to the hotel. (Complete with my now too heavy carry on bag that, I am proud to say, housed around three changes of clothes.)

After surveying the room A and I made sure we got every amenity that was offered. Twice. Soap, towels, tissue paper. I got two large Eva water bottles and deux cartons of Five Alive. Just because.

A asked for rice and I ordered three wraps of Iyan just to spite the airline. It was after midnight when they brought A's rice.

Sometime after 1am, they grudgingly produced my food.

It was Tuwo.


...to be continued


If Iyan's a 10, then Tuwo's a 3. Its my opinion. The only thing worse would have been a tepid plate of Fufu.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Huh Bee,u cnt 'to be continued' an interesting piece of rant!!!! NO FAIR!
Kiah said…
recently??? more like ages ago...at least that's what it feels like...i miss you, Adefemi emailed today and said he misses you too...hope you r having a blast!!!