Talk and Run?

"So if you can't Talk and Run, what then?"





Ever since I landed on this side of the Atlantic, I've wanted to lace up my running shoes and get my groove back. My dilemma? My trusty sneakers gave up the ghost. After an extended shopping( read: browsing) period, I finally picked up a pair. Enter a bit of negotiation and my younger brother, and Track Team member, agreed to accompany me on a run. We decided on a 2 mile circuit; one mile out, then back to where we started. Easy-peasy, I thought. We stretched, talked shop, and I got an idea of where we'd be going.

Once we got out of the door, we were momentarily distracted by a handful of ants that were trying to make lunch of a small caterpillar. Then we began.

And so began The Hurt. I was barely running, it was more like a slow jog of drudgery. My legs quickly turned to rubber and my breaths were shallow, at best. My legs transformed into rubber logs and I'm pretty sure I jogged in a sort of forward leaning, hunch-backed manner. Our course was shortened from 2 to 1.4 miles; and at times I'm not sure how I kept in motion.

By the time we got back home, I couldn't really breathe without gasping. Even after a shower and a change of clothes, I still felt like my body was going full speed ahead when all I wanted to do was lay down.

As much as it sucked, I'd love to get back into shape. I'm sure if I wasn't so caught up in trying to breathe, I would have really enjoyed the scenery.

I'll probably do a wee jog around the block tomorrow morning.

Here's to trying.
And here's to Myne for the vote of confidence. Thanks a lot :)

Comments