Accepting Sugabelly's Language Challenge
I heard about a Blogger Language Challenge and thought I'd give it a try.
The originators' link is HERE:
It was really cool to hear the entries and how intouch the bloggers seemed to be with their roots. Though its a day late and on Independance day no less, here's my entry into the Challenge. What a better way to express the freedoms we have in one country than the ability to converse(or try to converse) in the tongue of another.
About myself, my parents are Nigerian and I was raised in America. I did go to Nigeria in my youth and I learned the Ijebu-Ode dialect, but that was lost, sadly, as I no longer had the constant communication with my Grandmother to sharpen my skills. When I reached 18, I shuttled between Nigeria and America more often. I spoke almost entirely in English though I did improve my understanding of Yoruba, and Pidgin. Anyway, hope you enjoy my video...
Let's just say, if there are going to be prizes....I wouldn't get one...
Here it goes.
Translation...of sorts:
If you want to join, Please Do! Languages are what connect us. Why not do a post of your own? Just don't forget
THE RULES:
1. It DOES NOT MATTER how well you can speak your language. The goal is to speak regardless. So don't worry if you don't speak that well or you have to include lots of English words. ALL language levels are welcome.
2. Video posts or Audio posts are strongly preferred. This is because the point is to hear and enjoy the spoken language. Written posts are frowned upon but will be accepted too. ^_^
3. Please always provide a translation for your readers of other ethnicities! Translations should be in English and can be in the form of captions under a video post, or written transcripts for audio and written posts.
4. Please tag each participating post as - language challenge - and post the link here in the comments so I can link to it and make all of them easy to find.
5. Please encourage other Nigerian bloggers to post in Nigerian languages.
The originators' link is HERE:
It was really cool to hear the entries and how intouch the bloggers seemed to be with their roots. Though its a day late and on Independance day no less, here's my entry into the Challenge. What a better way to express the freedoms we have in one country than the ability to converse(or try to converse) in the tongue of another.
About myself, my parents are Nigerian and I was raised in America. I did go to Nigeria in my youth and I learned the Ijebu-Ode dialect, but that was lost, sadly, as I no longer had the constant communication with my Grandmother to sharpen my skills. When I reached 18, I shuttled between Nigeria and America more often. I spoke almost entirely in English though I did improve my understanding of Yoruba, and Pidgin. Anyway, hope you enjoy my video...
Let's just say, if there are going to be prizes....I wouldn't get one...
Here it goes.
Translation...of sorts:
Good morning....
I don't speak at all....My Yoruba isn't good at all.... Its very weak. I don't practice at all....I don't like....all this....thing?
My Yoruba is very weak.
Last night I was very hungry. I made Efo(vegetable stew). I made vess with dry fish and spinach and collard greens. I used it to make vegetable stew
I washed it(the greens), cut it and boiled it with pepper.
......
...
My vegetable stew, ...I made, was very sweet! My Mom and my sister ate it, with amala.
I like amala alot. Especially with vegetable stew.
My Yoruba is rusty. Really!!
I need practice... Right?
If you want to join, Please Do! Languages are what connect us. Why not do a post of your own? Just don't forget
THE RULES:
1. It DOES NOT MATTER how well you can speak your language. The goal is to speak regardless. So don't worry if you don't speak that well or you have to include lots of English words. ALL language levels are welcome.
2. Video posts or Audio posts are strongly preferred. This is because the point is to hear and enjoy the spoken language. Written posts are frowned upon but will be accepted too. ^_^
3. Please always provide a translation for your readers of other ethnicities! Translations should be in English and can be in the form of captions under a video post, or written transcripts for audio and written posts.
4. Please tag each participating post as - language challenge - and post the link here in the comments so I can link to it and make all of them easy to find.
5. Please encourage other Nigerian bloggers to post in Nigerian languages.
Comments
Lets call this yoruba-english.
lol!
I've added your post to the Language Challenge page and linked to it.
Thank you so much for participating!!
*covers face*
www.theepitomeofbeauty.blogspot.com
That was quite courageous of you to put it online.
H: Glad to brighten your day :)
Prism..: Thank you, but I did sheild my face ;)
Unveil.: Yeah, I know that feeling
Olaolu.: That means yours' is better Now? So... here's hope for me! Thanks for the encouragement!
I think a good way to practice is watching yoruba movies if you can..trust me! they help
sounded like ajebutter babe/oyinbo/ibo speaking yoruba..
i shld try this se...this one i am laffing at u.
Dammie: I'll need to youtube it up then!
H: Argh, missed this.
aloted: Its never to late to cause laughter. lol! I want to hear yours :)
Stick around, sometimes I'm funny on purpose. :D
gan gan gan...
bla bla bla (dracula style)